Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Aquaman: James Wan


Saw James Wan's Aquaman. I can’t remember the last time I saw a live-action superhero film I thought was legitimately beautiful. The scene of Arthur and Mera flare-diving into the trench might be the most hypnotic image in a blockbuster since the Godzilla parachuting scene. My crowd gasped.
Unfortunately the story is as pedestrian as they come. It feels like the second part of a trilogy stuck on fast-forward: lots of blunt force expository world-building, bland characterizations, comedic banter that felt half-hearted even for the superhero genre. But it doesn’t really matter? The world-building might be the best of any superhero film. I’d buy an art book breaking down all the different kingdoms. Plus, the fight scenes are AMAZING. The Sicily rooftop fight is an all-timer for the genre. It’s not as good as Wonder Woman, but it’s still great. I’ve always said that DC made more interesting movies than Marvel. The problem is they’ve only recently started to be GOOD ones. This one is the latest move in the right direction.

Rating: 7/10

Post a Comment

0 Comments